Dating 101, lesson 1: a significant part of a date is knowing you’re having one.
1. What just happened?!
Phil’s got two whole days for himself at the house. After he’s done traveling to the future (meaning: he’s wired the house to his iPad) he uses Cam’s free pass to the gym. He meets a guy David, finds out that David supports the same team, but definitely doesn’t realize that he’s “playing for the other”. No wonder Phil thinks of nothing romantic when he asks David to watch a game at his house. David on the other hand…
Claire, Alex, Manny and Luke travel out of town for the academic challenge that Alex wins every year. Claire finds that Alex puts too much pressure on herself and secretly hopes that her daughter loses. Yeah right Claire! Honey boo-boo’s mom has got nothing on you…
In the hotel lobby Manny passes a girl smiling at him and claims he found the love of his life. Together with his wing
-man boy Luke he crashes three bar mitzvahs to find her.
Cam and Mitchell (but really only Cam) declare to have the most amazing gift for Jay and Gloria’s nursery. They just need the two of them out of the house for four hours so Cam’s ‘crew’ can install it, no problemo. Mitchell takes his father to the crib store and Cam stalls Gloria with lunches and ex-tre-me-ly interesting stories. Jay has been very grumpy lately, something Mitchell experiences while the dad-son shopping date. Jay is not one for heart-to-heart conversations, so Mitchell is determined not to get sucked in. Or not?
2. What was the most memorable quote or dialog this episode?
– Phil: “I think when you’ll get home you’re gonna be very surprised to see that this house has an actual functioning brain in it.”
– Phil: “I am… NOT TOO BRIGHT. I am…DIM!”
– Luke: “Ugh, stop moping! So you didn’t get a date to one stupid dance.” Manny: “It’s not one stupid dance. It’s the kickoff to the whole dance season.” Luke: “It’s like you’ve never heard boys talk.”
– Manny: “I know this sounds crazy, but I feel like my whole life has led to this moment.” Luke: “You made a very similar speech to get my mom to stop for those churros.” Manny: “Luke, I need you for this. You’re sneakier than I am. You’re a bigger liar. You have no moral compass.” Luke: “Look, thanks for all the compliments, but breaking into one stupid party? That’s not even a challenge.”
– David: “Wait what are the last four numbers again?”. Phil: “1-9-8.4. It’s kind of a lucky number for me. It’s the year Footloose came out.
– Mitchell: “Look, dad, I… I had to give up my home office for Lily’s bedroom and I was upset about it too. *mumbles* Wasn’t hugging bunnies, but…” Jay: “All right!”
3. Cuteness vs. Useless
++ That awkward moment where you have to pause a show because you’re laughing too loudly. Phil’s story line was brilliant and I honestly didn’t see it coming. Phil’s face after the kiss at the end… PRICELESS.
4. Rate it! (on a scale from 0 to 10)
One of Modern Family’s finest: 8,5/9
What do you think of this week’s episode?